Tuesday, July 26, 2011

DAY 7: The Adventures of a Vegan Carnivore


Original Post Date: Mon, Feb 28, 2011

Today marks the end of week 1!! I made it a whole week!! Granted, if you’ve been following along, it has not been without it’s good and bad.

Tonight’s experiment – Lentil Loaf. I got home around 7:30 (after a much needed stop at Trader Joes to pick up some more of that delicious chocolate almond milk) and was really hungry. And with the frequency with which I am eating, that in itself is surprising!  I had grandiose plans of making rice and veggie stir-fry, but I opted for one of my Gobble Green meals instead. I have 7 of them and am pacing myself for the next 21 days so that I don’t run out of a “quick” meal. They are vacuum packed and frozen, so a quick zap in the microwave is all it takes.

Back to the Lentil Loaf. It smells a little weird before microwaving, so I anxiously await the 4 minutes as it heats wondering what on earth it will smell like after being heated! Surprise number 2 for the evening, it actually smelled pretty good. On to the taste test … it’s a little crumbly, so I mash it up much like I would potatoes and take the first bite. Not bad … not bad at all … crunch! … what was that? … yum … I think that was green pepper … (dig fork in another bite of lentil loaf) … yep, green pepper … I think I like this.

So, there you have it folks. The Lentil Loaf gets a thumbs-up on first taste. If you’d have asked me at the beginning which was more appealing Lentil Loaf vs. Almond Butter, I definitely would have gone with the Almond Butter. But Lentil Loaf is the Cinderella story!

I went an extra step tonight, I made a batch of quinoa pasta for dinner tomorrow night and cooked a batch of barley to add to my soup for lunch. Did you know it takes 75 minutes to cook barley! Oh, the things I’m learning.

Closing thought … must try the apple cinnamon barley recipe on the back of my barley bag (say that 3 times real fast!). It looks scrumptious, but I have to wait at least another 21 days!

No comments:

Post a Comment