Tuesday, July 26, 2011

DAY 1: The Adventures of a Vegan Carnivore


Original Post Date: Tues, Feb 22, 2011

I think my body knew what I was going to do to it today, or rather what would be withheld from it today (ie coffee, sugar, milk, chocolate!). I woke up with a huge headache this morning … let the withdrawals begin!!

While the headache lingers, I still must get up and get on with my vegan day. My first task … cook the quinoa & millet grain concoction that I toasted last night. Thankfully, the cooking part is easy.  The eating part, um … not so much! I add some almond butter and a small dash of real, organic maple syrup to flavor it up, but it didn’t really work. And can I just say, almond butter doesn’t have much flavor either! Apparently it’s all the rage, but I have no idea why! But I will soldier on to try almond butter another day …

Next comes my first snack. I have chosen rice chips with sea salt and a roasted red pepper hummus. Those of you who are exclaiming “Leslie ate hummus!” have reason to be surprised. It is a well-known fact that I do NOT eat hummus. I just can’t get past the texture. But, I’m giving it another try! As long as I can create a little rice cracker with the hummus in the middle and it never touches my tongue, I’m good. And I actually liked it!

Lunch time!! Usually my favorite part of the day. Co-workers get together, we laugh, have a good time and even get a little business done. Today, I don’t join in the festivities. I don’t think my willpower muscle is strong enough to resist the caterer’s amazing chocolate chip cookies. So I heat up my Whole Foods Deli Tofu with some sort of special sauce and eat at my desk. This was VERY tasty!! And I had a nice little side of a cold barley salad with some mixed greens, cucumber and tomato.

And then starts my downfall … for those of you who read the last page of a book first, I’ll give you the ending: I did not cheat and my entire day was vegan. However, I missed my afternoon snack, had an appt after work and was ravenous by the time I landed in my kitchen at 8:20 wondering what on earth I should eat. Arghhh … this is where meal planning comes in handy, I say to myself!

I chose a boca burger (entirely vegan) with some soysation fake cheese on gluten free bread and an apple on the side. So, I made the vegan choice – and let’s face it, it’s really because that’s ALL the food I have right now! But I’m proud of myself nonetheless. My first whole day!

I MADE IT!! Now on to the next 27 days! And after reading this, onto more vegetables – Saturday’s farmer’s market can’t come soon enough!

Closing thought … really, really, must get that fashionable lunch bag! I think a Target run is in store. 

No comments:

Post a Comment