Tuesday, July 26, 2011

DAY 25: The Adventures of a Vegan Carnivore


Original Post Date: Fri, Mar 18, 2011

T minus 3 days and counting. Temptation. For anyone with a vice (and that would be all of us), temptation is just around the corner. It’s what we choose when we come face to face with it that really matters. All through this challenge, I have faced my eating history with a few groans and grimaces as the temptations of what I once consumed would magically appear on my co-workers plates, or the smells of those delectables would waft under my nose, or more poignantly, when I would actually seek out the smell of said delectable, as was the case today. There was chocolate cake at work today. Individually packaged and ready for enjoyment. I looked at my co-workers and said, quite casually, “I just want to smell it!” NOT A GOOD IDEA!

I’ve said it before and it’s worth repeating: this blog has kept me more accountable than you will ever know. The temptations that I have faced were relatively easy to turn down, knowing that I would be honest with all of you had I cheated. Come Tuesday, that accountability is gone. The challenge is over. And if that small, tiny, little whiff of chocolate cake was any indication, then temptation may just come and claim me! Yikes! It’s like living on the Biggest Loser ranch and then facing the real world. So, I go back a few blog posts and remind myself, “no one ever died from saying no to the cookie.”

Even with just 3 days left, I’m still experimenting with my vegan choices.  Up today was key lime soy yogurt, quinoa stir-fry and morning star’s version of a vegan burger. I think we all know how I feel about key lime – yum! Quinoa stir-fry was thumbs up; another winner from my frozen Gobble Green meals. And the vegan burger … not bad. Especially since I added rice milk pepperjack cheese and sautéed mushrooms. I still can’t believe that there are all these vegan cheeses out there. Granted, I have not really eaten the cheese by itself, so I can’t tell you if they taste exactly like regular cheese, but melted on a vegan burger or in some pasta – tastes the same to me!

Closing thought … I wonder what tempting treats I will face at my friends baby shower tomorrow. At least I still have the blog-accountability!

No comments:

Post a Comment