Tuesday, July 26, 2011

DAY 6: The Adventures of a Vegan Carnivore


Original Post Date: Sun, Feb 27, 2011

For those of you wondering, yes, I got an A on my test this morning. I did not have my customary donut and coffee at church. I find that I don’t really miss the donut so much, but the coffee is sorely missed.

Two new things today … first, I got to taste my veggie soup that I made last night. Sadly, it was just okay. I say sadly because I now have a huge vat of it to eat. It was quite surprising, seeing as how I make a mean veggie soup – I have learned from the master (my mom! If you’ve never had veggie soup at our house, then you are just missing out – sorry! That’s the facts). Three notable things are different since this is my vegan version of veggie soup. 1. I had to use vegetable broth rather than good ole beef stock. 2. No beef  (obviously). 3. To “beef” up the protein of my soup (nice word choice, huh?) I added beans. Like I mentioned earlier about hummus, I really don’t like beans because of the texture. So, I took some advice: Blend the beans and then add to the soup. Anyway, of the 3, I don’t think anyone of them is bad. The good news is that I have some ideas for improvement. – mainly the addition of some other spices and barley!

My second new food today was a soy yogurt + gluten free granola + blackberries concoction. The granola was really good. And blackberries are always good! Notice my omission from the accolades and you’ll see why I thought this concoction was just okay.

So, I’ve had a “just okay” food day. Now, you know how I like my food. This does not put me in a very good place and normally I would turn to a pint of ice cream to appease my displeasure. BUT THAT’S NOT VEGAN!! And as I’ve learned, that would be emotional eating. Well, sometimes I feel hungry – isn’t that emotional too? (just kidding).

And to end my very “okay” day on a sad note … I just drank the last of my chocolate almond milk!

Closing thought … must try quinoa/millet cereal again tomorrow, which means it’s time for bed since I have to get up earlier in order to cook it!

No comments:

Post a Comment