Tuesday, July 26, 2011

DAY 28: The Adventures of a Vegan Carnivore


Original Post Date: Mon, Mar 21, 2011

The last day. The last day of anything in life is usually coupled with an emotional response. Whether that be the last day of vacation and the dread of going back to the grind, the last day of school and the incredible excitement you feel or even the last day of a 28 day challenge and the relief/joy/trepidation/sense of pride you feel now that it’s coming to a close.

Relief. Yes, I’m relieved that it is over. I’m relieved that I get to enjoy a glass of milk again, that I can go out to lunch/dinner with friends and not worry about the menu. Relief that I don’t have to be so diligent in reading ingredient labels when I shop. I mean, do you know how much time that adds to a grocery outing? And even a little relief that I no longer have to write a daily blog. Sometimes I would forget and end up doing it after midnight – tonight is no exception!

Joy. I have found some wonderful new foods and habits throughout this experience (see Day 27!), that I wouldn’t have otherwise found. I’m grateful that so many of you have been an encouragement to me and maybe found a little healthy inspiration for yourselves.

Trepidation. It’s no secret that I’m a little nervous about facing the temptations of chocolate without my accountability blog! It’s just too easy to call this a 28 day stint and go back to eating the way I was before. Here’s to hoping that 28 days really does build habits. I cannot and will not ban chocolate from my life, but the plan is to only have it on weekends (or a VERY special occasion). Bye-bye caterer’s chocolate chip cookies. I will miss you.

Sense of pride. I’m proud of myself, too. Knowing that I’m a very competitive person (who didn’t know that?), I knew going in that I would never cheat on the “vegan” eating. And though I couldn’t always make the gluten-free thing or meditation work for me, I’m okay with that. I actually ate healthy for 4 weeks straight!! And at final count tonight, I’ve lost 12 pounds. Can I get a woot-woot?!

So a toast! To all the vegans, the carnivores, the chocoholics, and the granolas … I am one of you!

My gratitude and thanks go out to all of you, my reader friends. Wishing you all healthy eating.

Closing thought … Vanilla Chai tea, I’ll see you on the flip side!!

No comments:

Post a Comment