Tuesday, July 26, 2011

DAY 23: The Adventures of a Vegan Carnivore


Original Post Date: Wed, Mar 16, 2011

T minus 5 days and counting. Today’s reflection is on the quintessential gathering around a table. The pilgrims and Indians know all about that. Most Americans mark a celebration with it. There’s the family dinner, the extended Sunday family dinner, Easter/Christmas/Thanksgiving dinners, 4th of July picnics, backyard BBQs, birthdays, girl’s night out … the list goes on and on. Today was no exception. My department when to lunch to celebrate one of my colleagues’ (yet-to-be-born) new baby girl. The appetizers were mouth-watering, the entrees looked delicious and don’t get me started on the desserts. Did I mention this was Italian at it’s best? I order the spinach salad sans bacon and the linguine with marinara sauce and keep myself ignorant to the ingredients. Here’s hoping that the pasta was egg free! I won’t even bother hoping for gluten-free. And though my meal was delicious, all I wanted was to sink my teeth into some of that bread (made with milk and eggs – believe me, I asked!), appetizers and desserts that everyone around me was enjoying. This blog keeps me accountable yet again! I know I’ve come a long way, just maybe not far enough to turn down the good ole fashioned gathering around a table.

Something new to report: If you like Soy Sauce, you should get yourself some Organic Tamari. I finally tried it with my rice & veggie leftovers. Two thumbs up!

Tonight I stepped into Safeway for the first time since I began my vegan challenge. I made it easy on myself – I wasn’t there to shop for me! My company has an office in Japan and we are sending a giant care package of items that our employees there have requested. The stores in Japan are sold out and distribution centers are not restocking them due to the travel restrictions. We’re putting all our hope in FedEx. Goooooo FedEx!! Back to Safeway … I bought all sorts of goodies that I would like to eat. It was cathartic in a weird way.

Closing thought … must learn the art of gathering around a table the healthy way (it’s so hard without brownies or cheesecake or peach goo. Or Ice cream! Definitely Ice Cream!).

No comments:

Post a Comment