Tuesday, July 26, 2011

DAY 27: The Adventures of a Vegan Carnivore


Original Post Date: Sun, Mar 20, 2011

One day left! WOW! Has it really almost been 4 weeks since meat, milk, cheese or eggs (or dessert) has crossed these lips? Can I just say it again? WOW! And with that wow, comes a little bit of shock and surprise. I’m utterly shocked that today, of all days, was one of the hardest of the entire challenge, which makes me a little worried about what’s to come! I mean, there are 5 boxes of Thin Mints that have been patiently awaiting their consumption for 2 weeks! What happens if I crash and burn? The wise answer is to say let it go and start again. In the wise words of Scarlet O’Hara “Tomorrow is another day!”

Rather than focus on the inevitable mis-steps I will make in the future, I’m going to focus on the things that I discovered along this journey that I plan on integrating into my healthier eating lifestyle:

  1. Vanilla Chai Tea – ironically, one of the vegan treats I discovered but couldn’t have because the cleanse was caffeine-free! I’m very much looking forward to Tuesday morning when I can have this!
  2. Almond Milk – no, I’m not giving up my regular milk; however, the almond milk has less calories and is great with my protein shakes. This is a must-have!
  3. Hummus – I still can’t believe this one. I don’t know if I will be able to do all kinds of hummus, but the red roasted pepper has become a favorite snack.
  4. Smaller portions, more times a day – this way of eating seems to be working for me. In typical American fashion, I was eating too big of portions. And of course, my new workout buddy – apple w/ nut butter – will be my go-to snackage on trainer days.
  5. Quinoa – who doesn’t love a good for you ancient grain?
  6. SoDelicious coconut yogurt – something healthy that tastes like dessert? I’ll take it!
  7. Boca Burgers – I really like these. They are not a substitute if you really want a burger, but they are still good, and easy – it has to be easy!
  8. Brown Basmati – I’ve been making batches of this 1-2 times a week and then eating off of it all week and I’m really liking this. It makes grabbing a quick dinner much faster and a whole lot healthier than fast food!
  9. Cooking veggies on Sunday – to go along with the rice, this is a genius plan to keep healthy eating going strong.
  10. Bolthouse Farms & Naked Juices – there’s literally a rainbow to choose from with lots of vitamins, nutrients and fruits & veggies! I love the slogan on the green Naked juice “looks weird, tastes great”. They deliver on that!
Had I not done this challenge, the likelihood of me discovering the above was slim to none. Very glad I did.

Closing thought … I’m one more day closer to the vanilla chai tea that’s been sitting in my fridge. Very very happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment