Tuesday, July 26, 2011

DAY 26: The Adventures of a Vegan Carnivore


Original Post Date: Sat, Mar 19, 2011

T minus 2 days and counting.  It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Throw in some wisdom and foolishness and I think today is the making for a great book. Maybe we could call it The Tale of Two Leslie’s. Quite apropos considering I went to Leslie’s baby shower today (my “name twin” is having a baby – not me!). And on the flip side, I am like two Leslie’s. There is vegan-Leslie and carnivore-Leslie J. I digress; back to the point I was making.

Let me start with the worst of times. It has nothing to do with the circumstances or events of the day and everything to do with this dreary, cold and rainy weather. I would much prefer to stay inside on a day like this, watch movies, read books and of course snack on some molten lava cake or warm brownies … er … change that, some hot herbal tea and tomato soup (yes, this is the new, healthy me talking now!). And let’s face it, Californians are not known for their stellar driving record in the rain. Sorry to all you natives, but us transplants speak the truth!

On to the best of times … celebration of new life! My friends are having their first baby and it was shower time! In typical celebratory fashion, there was plenty of food. I’m always a little nervous going into events where I know there is going to be that land of plentiful bounty atop a table in the middle of the room with food I want to eat, but shouldn’t. My saving grace is that, so far, there has always been something I’ve been able to partake in, which makes me feel somehow more included in the festivities than if I had to just swear off the food table entirely. Today was no exception (insert smiley face here!).

And the best of times continues … I got to visit with a lot of important people in my life today. Whether one-on-one, in a crowd, or a small group, these friends are exceptional and I don’t get to spend enough time with them, so it was definitely the best of times today!

And back comes the trepidation and nervousness! After the shower a few of us went out to dinner to catch up. Going to a restaurant also invokes in me these irrational nervous feelings, partly because I’m not sure what I will be able to eat and partly because I feel so high-maintenance when I order. After one glance at this menu, there was nothing to fear. Vegan burger with grilled zucchini, sautéed mushrooms and a spicy pepper chutney with a side of steamed veggies. Oh-so-good! I know I’ve just tantalized your taste buds. What kind of friend would I be if I didn’t tell you where you can find this fine faire? The Englander’s Pub in San Leandro. Look it up. Go eat! Seriously some good ole pub food awaits!

I feel a little accomplished to say that while on this vegan challenge I was able to go to events and restaurants like today and just be … normal (well, as normal as I can be, anyway). This is life and vegan or not, there are healthy choices to make each time. I can’t say that prior to this little experiment of mine that I would have even taken heed to the healthy options. I’m definitely a sugaraholic and the desserts seem to have this magical magnetism with me. This challenge has offered me the opportunity to reset my “goodie” button. “Goodies” do not have to be cookies and cakes. My “goodie” button has been reprogrammed to now encompass fruits and veggies and salads. It may still be challenging at times to resist the treats, but ultimately, the choice is mine and I can make the healthy one (and so can you!)

Closing thought … With only 2 days left, get your requests in now! Any questions out there that I haven’t answered yet? Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment