Tuesday, July 26, 2011

DAY 13: The Adventures of a Vegan Carnivore


Original Post Date: Sun, Mar 6, 2011

It’s time. I’ve been putting it off long enough. Yes, it’s time for the dreaded “p” word. That’s right. POOP! Hey, if Oprah can have a whole show about it, then I can at least devote one blog to it!

Let’s get it all out there (literally)! Question time … how often do you go #2? How often do you even think about the last time you went #2? If you’re anything like me, it’s not often. It’s not like I have a poop log by my toilet to document my bowel movements.  But when you are on a cleanse, trying to rid your body of toxins, it’s good to at least be aware!

Did you know that a healthy GI system should produce 1-2 well-formed bowel movements a day?  A day, people!!! A day! And that normal “transit” time from mouth to movement is about 12-24 hours.

Here’s a fun test:
Ingest either 1 gram of charcoal tablets (found at a pharmacy) or eat a cup of shredded raw beets and write down the time and date. And then wait. The charcoal will turn your poop black and the beets will turn it red. Then note what time and date that black or red poop appears and there is your transit time.

The good thing about eating cooked veggies (as prescribed by the nutritionist running the cleanse challenge) instead of raw is that there are no active enzymes in cooked veggies, which makes it easier for the digestive system to break down the food and get it through the system.

For the inquiring minds out there … at first I had bloating and gas as my system was getting used to the new way of eating, but that has subsided. Still don’t have the “healthy GI system”, but I’m working on it.

Whew, the poop blog post is done! Aren’t you all so glad?

Closing thought … I think the phrase “bowel movement” is funny. I don’t know why! Let’s start a movement … see what I mean! Funny!

No comments:

Post a Comment