Tuesday, July 26, 2011

DAY 22: The Adventures of a Vegan Carnivore


Original Post Date: Tues, Mar 15, 2011

T minus 6 days and counting. Tonight I’m reflecting on the often asked question, “So do you feel better eating this way?” Until tonight my answer had always been “Um, not really.” But as I look back over the past few months compared to these latest few weeks, I do find one interesting tidbit. I think it’s quite possible that I had been eating myself into a sugar-induced state of depression. Lack of sugar, better hydration, and “whole foods” tend to make for a better overall mental state. And so now, should someone ask, my answer will be entirely different. I will simply say “Yes, Yes I do feel better. Thanks for asking.” Smile and go on my merry way. After all, feeling good and “feeling” good really are two different things.

On my plate today was pretty standard vegan faire. I’ve been steadily making a huge batch of brown basmati rice every 3-4 days (depending on if I’m feeling generous and share with the roomie!), and if you’ve been reading this daily outpouring of vegan-ness you’ll remember that I also cooked a giant pile of veggies that I’m still eating off of. Rice and veggies stir-fry. It has been, and remains, one of my favorite things to eat – vegan or not.

Oh, I almost forgot … hold on to your hats, because I have a surprise! I love my red roasted pepper hummus! You heard that right! I still can’t believe it, but it is one of my go-to snackages during the day. Yippee for powering through!

My gym offers yoga class on Tuesday nights and I started taking it off and on a few months ago. I have to say, that I really enjoy it, and tonight it was double the pleasure – class was good and it counts as my meditation for the day! If you’ve never taken yoga, it certainly opens up your entire exercise vocabulary with words like: chaturanga, stick pose, happy baby and mountain pose. But my favorite part is when all the lights go off and you literally just lay there and breathe. Breathe with me … ahhhhhhhhhhh! See, don’t you feel better already?

Since I got home so late, I didn’t want a big meal, so I opted for another of my favorites – vegan or not! Toast with peanut butter and bananas. L-O-V-E it!! (for my Neighborhood church friends, I really mean that! I DO love it!)

Closing thought … it’s been a very “vegan or not” day of favorites!

No comments:

Post a Comment