Saturday, October 22, 2011

Movie Night without Electricity?


Though I’m writing this in the wee hours of Sunday morning, my mind is still on Friday. Friday was only my second “official” day at the home and it started much like Thursday. Knock, knock on my bedroom door and in walks Henry. Henry is always ready with a smile and a way to help. This morning, he helps me boil water on the charcoal stove for my oatmeal. Then it’s on to class. I’m helping the P1 students. P1 – Primary 1 and the equivalent of our first grade. We are reviewing math and science and continuing lessons in their religious studies education. P1 gets out at 1pm and the rest of the grades at 4pm. And on Friday, the kids let loose. It’s the start of the weekend after all.

I walk down the hall towards the girls room to excited squeals of Auntie, Auntie! I brought a calendar with me; one that my sister made for me with pictures of my family and they all clamored to see it. They love looking at pictures of any kind and as I told them who the people were, they would go back through the book and say to the girls who just joined in the fun “That’s Auntie with dark hair”, “That’s Auntie’s Birthday”, “That’s Auntie’s mother”. Soon the conversation led to who slept in which bed. With all 12 girls in one room (It’s akin to a slumber party every night), they have triple bunk beds. If I were a little girl again, I would love to sleep in these! And this led to invitations to sit in their bed and chat or play cards. Carol, the wild child is of course on a top bunk, so they laughed as I climber there. Next it was on to Bena’s, whose bunk is in the middle, where she beat me in slap jack; then to Sharon’s, whose bunk is on the bottom, where again I was beaten in slap jack! These girls are good! All the while, I’m receiving invitations from Teddy and Shafiga and Mercy and Vickie … I have many more afternoons of this to look forward to!!

Friday & Saturday nights are movie nights, but I think someone forgot to tell the power company because the electricity was out. These kids take that kind of thing in stride. There is no complaining, no remarks of how “unfair” it is. We just find something else to do. I had brought the Chornicles of Narnia series for the kids and Sarah and I thought it would be fun to read the stories all together a few nights a week. What better night to start. As I sat on the couch, surrounded by 18 curious little faces and started the first book, I smiled inwardly. This is the stuff I didn’t know I was missing out on until now. At each chapter break, the kids asked for more. Even when the lights came back on. (We did end up watching a movie later.)

Earlier that day, I had eaten one of my little Dove dark chocolate bites (which will forever remind me of the Women’s retreat and my drama girls). The message on the inside said “Life is Good”. I couldn’t agree more.

3 comments:

  1. I love this story Leslie. It brought tears to my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gah, finally had time to get caught up. So happy for you. Just like I remembered it! I just wrote a poem about the girls bunk beds. I should send it to you. Also, when you get home for Christmas, can I send you a package for Lillian and Bena and possibly Grace? Or will you have room. It should be small stuff. Maybe some books and a stuffed animal. Love you lots girl. So happy for you. And give every smiling face a big huge hug for me. Oh, and the girls love it if you sing to them at night (especially Disney songs) just FYI. Especially Carol surprisingly enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Leslie! Thank you for offering a whole new perspective with each blog/update. You are truly a blessing!!!

    ReplyDelete