Wednesday, October 19, 2011

It’s a new dawn. It’s a new day. It’s a new life for me.


If you have never had the pleasure of seeing the sunrise from above the clouds, then you are missing out. It is the most beautiful reminder that God’s blessings are new each day. That is a good reminder on this day of all days. And so I document it. Kind of like a memory stone for the digital age.

After a over 24 hours of travel, which included 18.5 hours on two planes and waiting over 11 hours in three airports, a new life has dawned. And with it exciting new challenges, new friends and hopefully a new perspective.

So, off I go with my friends Sarah and Henry. It’s just me this time. I’m so used to traveling with about 15-20 other Mzungus on the mission teams. Believe it or not, it feels entirely normal to be just me. While we have Henry (the best driver in Uganda!), Sarah and I run a few errands. First things first – I need “connected” while here in Uganda. Off to Orange to get a modem and internet access, then Nokia to get a phone, then MTN to get a line and minutes for the phone. And presto-chango, I’m connected! (Oh, and Samosa’s and chapatti for lunch. SO GOOD!)

Off to the home – where 18 kids are eagerly awaiting my arrival, almost as much as I am eagerly awaiting their smiling faces. In grand Ugandan tradition, hugs all around and all my luggage (all 6 HEAVY bags) mysteriously make their way to my room.

The kids have to get back to their schoolwork, and Sarah and I are heading out to take one of the students who attends New Creation Center (Loving One by One’s primary school) to the doctor. Hopefully the medicines prescribed get her feeling better and back in school in no time!

By this time, I am a cooked goose. I think I only got about 5 hours of restless sleep in the past 48 hours, and my bed is calling my name. Do you know the best way to wake up from a nap? Drums right outside your bedroom door J. Yes, it is worship time at NCFH (New Creation Family Home). I realize the electricity has gone out, but that doesn’t matter. All the kids are gathered in the living room and even though I’m still a little fuzzy, I can’t help but smile at the site. After Bible study and prayer time, we sit for a meal of beans & rice (my first of many such meals!) and then it’s back to bed. I’m still not really cognitive!

And now it’s morning time. Chris just knocked on my door to give me my water bottle that I left in the living room last night, so I guess the kids are up. And off I go again. Blessings new each morning.

3 comments:

  1. Leslie, so excited for you. What a great pic. So appropriate. I can't wait to hear about all your adventures. Lots of love to you from San Diego Kate Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah Leslie! I can't wait to read more :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leslie...It sounds like you have had a busy but fantastic beginning to your new adventure. Plus, who wouldn't want to be greeted with smiling faces, hugs all around and little hands so eager to help! Glad you are enjoying the firsts even in your foggy haze! Oh and so glad you are only a click away!

    ReplyDelete