Wednesday, April 11, 2012

School Daze ... literally!


The feeling that freedom is not far away. The mornings where you can finally sleep late (if you want). The never-ending facts that you cram into your head are almost done!

Yes, it’s almost that time … when school will be out for the term. But before this longed for freedom, there is one little obstacle. Exams! Argh! Yes, end of term exams are here. My students have been reviewing and reviewing and reviewing their notes, their past quizzes and their math worksheets in preparation. Tomorrow is the big day. And we are all praying that they are ready!

And now you’re thinking, “Seriously! They are almost out of school. What?” Well, schooling in Uganda is done in 3 terms for each school year, starting at the end of January, with some holiday time in between each term. A rough calendar would look like this:

Term 1: Jan – Mid-April
Term 2: Mid-May – Aug
Term 3: Sept – Nov/Dec

What we in America would call the big “summer” break is actually Dec/Jan in Uganda. During this long holiday, you’ll find many students and teachers alike headed back to the village to visit family and friends, as is the case with many of our own students at New Creation Center.

I, myself, am looking forward to this holiday as much as my students. And now I know why my teachers all looked completely frazzled and burnt out at the end of each year – it’s because they are. I’m just now feeling their pain myself. So for all my teacher friends: you really do fight the good fight. I’m praying for you!

Speaking of, please pray for the students here as they start their exams. Also, during this holiday between term 1 and term 2 we are looking for a qualified English teacher at New Creation Center. Please pray that we find one!!

From Uganda, this is Teacher Leslie, signing off! Singing my merry tune of school-time freedom! Woo-hoo!!

No comments:

Post a Comment