Friday, April 6, 2012

It's Greek to Me!


Technically, it’s not Greek, it’s English. “Ugandan” English to be precise. Did you know that Uganda has 2 official national languages? They are English and Swahili. Now, Swahili is rarely spoken where I live. You mostly hear Luganda and English in and around Kampala. And most schools are taught in English, so children learn pretty quickly. While English may be a second language for most Ugandans, it is one of their official languages.

Anyway, since arriving back in Oct I’ve catalogued some of the interesting turn-of-phrases that have graced my ears. Now, if you are a Brit or an Aussie, you may think some of these phrases are commonplace. Apparently, you all use some of the same jargon. For those of you from the USA, consider this your proper Ugandan English lesson for the day:

Uganda English
USA English
Can I go susu?
Can I go for short call?
Can I go pee?
Can I go pee?
Can I go for long call?
(what do you think this one could be??)
Someone is poo-pooling.
Someone is on the toilet, pooping. You’d think that long call and poo-pooling would be interchangeable, but they aren’t. You’d never ask to go poo-pooling!
My pen is disturbing me!
My pen won’t write. I think it ran out of ink.
Dodging
Not doing your assigned chore
I need to pollute.
I have to fart.
Indicator
Turn signal
We have ever.
Yes, we’ve done that.
I have tonsillitis.
I have a sore throat.
I have the flu.
I have a cold.
My stomach is paining me.
I have a stomach ache. (note: the word “ache” is rarely used here)
Extend
Move back, scoot over, step aside, etc.
Well be back.
Welcome back.
Assist me, please
Give me that, please.
I’m going to the saloon.
I’m going to the salon (to get a haircut).

I’m sure there are more, which I have either forgotten to write down, or have become so common to me that I think nothing of it. In any case, I do sometimes get a case of the chuckles over some of these. Especially the poo-pooling comment. I most often hear this as the kids reason for being late back to class after the bell rings! Someone else was poo-pooling and they had to wait to susu. Still makes me laugh as I type this.

And that concludes your first Ugandan English lesson. Study … there may be a quiz on this next week. Oh wait, that’s teacher-Leslie coming out. I forgot, this is blogger-Leslie.

No comments:

Post a Comment