Tuesday, November 22, 2011

I’m Gonna Wash that Dirt Right Outta My Clothes

Yes, the long awaited (and promised) LAUNDRY blog! (Oooo … was that a cheer I just heard?)

I’ve never really minded doing laundry. Ironing, on the other hand is another story. I base buying clothes on whether it will need ironing. But that’s besides the point … back to laundry. Laundry days (or nights) in my house typically involved a movie whilst doing it, which made it more fun. That and seeing the delight on my roommates faces of my multi-color piles. Yes, I really do separate darks from whites and then I go a step further and have a pile for reds, oranges and pinks and another pile for blues, greens and purples. Into the machine go the “whites”, then the “blues”, then the “reds” and finally “blacks” – in that order. Fresh from the dryer it creates a whole rainbow effect after everything is folded. And my AR-ness absolutely loves it (AR – anal retentive).

Here in Uganda, laundry is quite another matter. It’s quite rare to find a washing machine in someone’s house and forget about a dryer. Although, I’m quite lucky and there is a washing machine here at the home, but first, you must graduate from hand washing before attempting machine washing.

First things first … you need, 3 tubs, water and soap. Line up your tubs:
Tub 1 – the washing tub. Put in some soap and swirl around. Add dirty clothes.
Tub 2 – first rinse
Tub 3 – final rinse

Once you’ve got your clothes in the washing tub, it’s time to put your back into it. Literally. Bend over, grab the bar soap, rub it into your garment and get scrubbing. There is a technique that I, personally, have not mastered yet (it takes years of practice), but I do try. Lucky for me the kids are gracious enough to help me after they are done with their own laundry! Next, on to inspection … did you really get your shirt clean? Better check. Once you pass, throw it into the “first rinse bin” and grab the next dirty item.

Now you have some items in the “first rinse bin”, it’s time for … drum roll … the first rinse (wow, you all guessed that correctly and now win a prize). Rinse it thoroughly using some of the same techniques from washing and then ring it out, getting all the soap out. And when I say, “ring it out”, I really mean it. If we all did our laundry this way, we would have arms of steel!

On to “final rinse” … pretty much the same as “first rinse”. Ring, ring, ring out those clothes as hard as you can. And up on the line (or the ground) they go. Uganda does have a universal dryer … it’s called the sun. Oh, but make sure you have your clothes inside out. And now, your laundry is done, your back is a little sore and your arms are closer to steel than they were before you started.

Lucky for me, I can use the washing machine. I only use it occasionally and it too can create arms of steel. You see, the washing machine can fill with water on its own, but only if you wait a really long time. And there is no guarantee that the electricity will remain on while you wait (or that we have running water at the moment you want to wash). So, it’s best if you haul your own water. Last week, I hauled bucket upon bucket from our outside cistern of water. It’s kind of like a well, in that you drop a bucket on a rope into the cistern and then heave it out – using those arms of steel that you are cultivating. You do this again and again and again. Presto – washer full and can now wash your clothes or sheets or towels. Oh, but wait … there’s more. Did you forget the rinse cycle? You have to do it all again in order to rinse your clothes.
 
And now, I bet your probably thinking I don’t like laundry day so much anymore. On the contrary, mon ami! I still don’t mind doing laundry. Sometimes I think of it as my exercise for the day. Sometimes it’s all about being with the kids – they actually clamor to help me!

So there it is friends … laundry, Uganda style. I'm working on my arms of steel!! Ha ha!

2 comments:

  1. This is actually what I miss most about staying at the home. I loved doing laundry with the kids. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No need for the gym eh? :P You are gonna have some super toned arms when you come home!

    ReplyDelete