Tuesday, November 29, 2011

The Fine Art of Cooking


I like to cook. I really like to bake. But I don’t do either very often. Let’s face it, it’s hard to cook for one person. Say you make a great lasagne. You have to freeze over half of it and eat the other half for the entire week when you are just one person. Cooking for 25 is another matter entirely. Especially in Uganda.

While in America I may be used to a nice electric or gas stove top for cooking, here in Uganda we rely on a little thing called the Charcoal stove. We actually do have a stove top, but it can cost a pretty penny to fire it up every day. Charcoal provides a much more economical solution. Learning how to operate one of these bad boys is an experience. For instance, say you are supposed to take your dinner from a “boil” to a  “simmer”. It’s not like there’s a little nob for that. But there is a way to do it, just take out some of that fiery hot charcoal and presto-chango, you can now simmer.

We have a set menu at the home for dinner each week, but regardless of the dish there are a few things that are ALWAYS used: cooking oil; grated tomatoes; chopped carrots, green pepper and onions; garlic; and spices like beef masala, curry, royco and salt. Go ahead. Try it. You know you want to.

One of my favorite meals is Uganda Spaghetti. There’s no red sauce, but it is oh-so-delicious! In fact, I like it so much that on Mondays, I help Aunt Margret with the cooking, so that I can learn how to make it for family & friends when I am in the states. I even bought the needed ingredients (the ones that you can’t find in America), so get ready to taste Uganda Spaghetti, friends!!

Anyway, I do often get laughed at – not in a menacing way – when “learning” to cook the Ugandan way. They don’t see me cooking very often, so I think that they think that I don’t know how. Yesterday, while waiting for the cooking oil to heat, Aunt Margret threw a few pieces of onion in the pan to see if the oil was hot enough and I got the most peculiar question posed to me “Do you know why she did that?” I had to laugh a little and say, “Yes, I do know how to cook.” I guess one of these days, I’ll have to prove that to them and make a whole meal myself :).

No comments:

Post a Comment