Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Planting Perspective


It’s March. And now you’re thinking “Yes, Leslie, it is. Are you living in a time warp?” The team was here in January and I have yet to write about the amazing two weeks of serving alongside 26 other volunteers from the US and Australia. Where has the time gone?

Which leads me to procrastination vs. processing. Where does processing stop and procrastination start? I’m always amazed at the amount of processing you do in the weeks and even months after a short-term mission trip, but in my case I also have to acknowledge that little vice in my life – the other “p” word: Procrastination.
 
Hold that thought … it will come back. I promise.

The January team got to visit and plant palm trees, which will line the driveway at GRACELAND, the future site of Loving One by One Ministries here in Uganda. It was a fun and dirty time, with kids and volunteers alike sharing special moments in planting “their” tree. As I watched, I couldn’t help but “see” what this driveway will look like when the trees are older and the palms are spread out inviting everyone to come up the hill.

I think about these baby trees, knowing what they will look like when they get older (I’ve seen what the “grown” up trees look like). It made me ponder the things I plant in my own life and what they look like as they grow. Sometimes I plant the right things, like kindness. Sometimes I plant the not-so-right-thing, like jealousy. Let me tell you, that does not grow into a beautiful palm tree. It’s more like an ugly cactus!

While the team was here, I discovered a seed that was beginning to plant its roots in my heart: Homesickness. Thankfully, the seed was literally plucked out, when I heard the sermon at church. It was all about perspective. I quickly realized that it’s a matter of what perspective I plant in the garden of my heart. I can choose to plant homesickness or I can choose to plant joy and gladness at the things I get to experience.

As a kid, I used to hate that saying “you reap what you sow”, but I have to admit that … (ugh!) … (c’mon, Leslie, you have to say it) … it’s … (swallow the pride) … true.

If I sow trust, I reap faith.
If I sow contentment, I reap joy.
If I sow self-discipline, I reap self-control.

On the other hand …
If I sow pride, I reap selfishness.
If I sow anger, I reap bitterness.
If I sow “but I want to do this now”, I reap procrastination (see I told you it would come back … BTW, is there a one word meaning for “but I want to do this now?”)

In answer to “What do you want most in life?” many people would say that they just want to be happy. I’ve always thought that was an interesting answer. But, how does one reap happiness? It’s all a matter of what you sow:

Sometimes the thing you sow sounds good, looks good, feels good at the time, but what comes up out of the ground is nothing but a rotten piece of fruit. So, you’re happy in the sowing, but miserable in the reaping. Does that sound like happiness to you?

Sometimes the thing you sow sounds impossible, looks like an uphill battle, feels frustrating, but what comes out of the ground is juicy deliciousness. So, you’re not so happy in the sowing, but beyond delighted in the reaping.

Now, which kind of happiness do you want?

Above all, the Bible has it right … I mean who doesn’t want to reap love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Now THAT sounds like an amazing garden. And if I sow the right things, then it's one that I will have. 

No matter what seeds you plant, they will eventually grow and soon it will be blatantly obvious to everyone which one you planted. Just look at the fruit.

It’s all a matter of planting the right perspective.

3 comments:

  1. Always look forward to reading your blog - and how much "at home" your words reflect what is already in our hearts. GOD bless you for the work you are doing in Uganda. As Maddy would say "GOD has a special rocking chair up there just for you and no - she won't share hers". You'll have to stop and see the kids when you get back. They have really grown!!!
    Sending love and prayers your way!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A timely message for me. Thanks for sharing your wisdom :)

    ReplyDelete