Friday, January 13, 2012

Juliet's Big Day!


Long time, no see … I know, I know. Over my Christmas holiday, I gave myself a little break from blogging, but I’m back now! This week Sherry, Sarah, Driver Henry and I have been running around getting everything ready for the team to arrive and take care of some ministry business. But this blog is not about us. It’s about Juliet. Juliet’s Big Day, to be exact!

It all began back in July, when we unsuspectingly met Juliet, a vivacious young girl, in an elderly home. Team members were drawn in by her contagious laugh, easy smile and delightful way of showing her joy: shrieks and squeals, as it should be with any little girl. She had been left at the elderly home, with no opportunity for an education, though she is very bright. In fact, she had never been to school. She couldn’t walk and her days were spent scooting around on the floor and chatting with the other residents … that is, until the team fell in love with her and found a sponsor for her to go to a school. The school doesn’t begin for a few weeks, but first she needed her assessments done. And now, her big day begins!

I knew the moment Juliet spotted us from the joyful shrieks that were echoing over the premises. To our surprise, she met us using a walker! She came rushing towards us and didn’t stop until she reached the car to get going. I think she was excited! And we didn’t hesitate to catch her excitement … off we go to our first stop of the day, the doctor’s assessment.

We arrived at the doctor’s on time for our appointment, but as I’m quickly learning, if you arrive on time, you are EARLY in Uganda. But, Juliet got to play with some toys in the waiting room and though they were what we would consider “baby” toys, she was happy to just have a toy, any toy. Finally, it’s doctor time. He believes, as we do, that she is a smart girl. And the best news, he believes that with the proper physical therapy, Juliet could walk on her own! Praise the Lord!

With the doctor assessment over, we now head to the disability school, where she will receive a full education plus the benefits of physical therapy. We met with Deputy Sam, (I just love that we call him “deputy” Sam; it sounds like an old movie) who assessed Juliet. While waiting for some paperwork, Juliet was laughing, joking, clapping. Her joy radiating with each moment.

We finished with Deputy Sam and had to go get ID photos of Juliet for the school. I’m not sure she has ever had a picture of herself for her very own, but she does now! And since there was a little market nearby, Mama Sherry thought we should get ice cream. More squeals and shrieks of delight!

The day ended for Juliet where it began, back at the elderly home. But this time, with the full confidence that in a few weeks she would be where she has always wanted to be. School (I’m sure there will be a blog about Juliet’s 2nd Big Day!). She was greeted with claps and smiles from the elderly residents, all of whom are happy to see her realize her dream of school.

I cannot do justice to Juliet through any words or pictures, though I have tried. This precious girl, who has never been to school, who has crawled on the ground for the better part of her life and who has not even been outside the walls of an elderly home for 3 years, cannot quelch the amazing spirit that bubbles over and spills out for all to see.

There are many people I admire. There are few who I truly look up to. And even fewer who I stand in awe of. Juliet is now one of those. 

No comments:

Post a Comment